"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Ain't Life Wonderful?


Years ago, I was writing a column in The Aurora Banner and I declared at Christmas that I would like to have my own newspaper.
Ron Wallace, the editor, grumpily demanded to know what I meant by that. I laughed and said I thought it would be great to own a newspaper and make the decisions about what should and should not see the light of day.

I wasn’t a newspaper person but I knew very well that publishing one is complicated business. Some days, the whole world hates you.

Since then, Ron quit the newspaper business and became a book-seller with Rosemary, the love of his life. I lay low for a few years -- though I was always here.

I remember Dave Haskell, the late editor of the Newmarket Era coming back from a conference once and telling how in the future, we would be reading newspapers from a screen. I thought he was talking about a television screen. Didn't think that would catch on.

On another occasion, Jean Baker-Pearce, a former publisher of The Banner returned from a conference and related advice that space should not be wasted on local council business. People were just not interested. I didn't believe that was true either.

So, now Ron is an editor again and he OWNS the newspaper. It seems to me people had been yearning for the little publication that grew and grew.
I am in the process of learning how to publish a blog -- which is different to a newspaper but I do believe, well within my capability.

Who would have thunk it?

We live in times when things we never even imagined a few years ago have the possibility of coming true.

Ain't life wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment