"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Don't Forget Possible!

My mother was born in 1902. The amenities of the day were oil lamp lighting, water from a common spigott in the yard carried indoors in a bucket and heated in kettles on the coal range. Bath-time was once a week.; Except for Grampa, a coal miner. For the rest of the family bath time coordinated with wash day when there was ample hot water from the boiler in the wash-house in the yard,.

Daily ablutions were perfomed in the house from a basin at a wash stand. My mother often recalled Grannie's admoniton:.

"Wash down as far as possible and up as far as possible", then with her finger raised, "Don't forget possible!"

The first seven years of my life were much the same as my mother's. except that we had a sink and cold water faucet in our home and gas lighting . My memories are clear.

I can now shower without needing someone else in the house. I can stand easily and wash possible. I have never taken modern amenities for granted. Since the surgery more than ever before.. I consider experience as a profound asset.

I am driving, shopping, attending meetings,still walking with support and blogging.

My grandparents would be amazed and amused.

1 comment:

  1. And I am sitting here in the basement laughing hysterically. You're a riot. I cannot believe you posted that!!!(Check your spelling!) HAHAHH!

    ReplyDelete