"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Blessings

On Tuesday I attended a Joint Council Committee at the Newmarket Administration Centre. I used two canes to navigate. I walked further than I had before with the canes. I was so pleased with my progress I walked some more at a shopping c entre. When it came to attending the town's general committee meeting in the evening, I couldn't. My arms were trembling, my hands shaking and I was cold all over. I had over-extended myself.

Yesterday, Friday, a beautiful day, I tackled the steps from the deck and did a couple of hours of weeding. The chair and cultivator had been set in place and beckoning me for a week. It was a day of accomplishment.

Since using the canes and abandoning the walker, I can walk several short steps independent of support. It is two months since the surgery. I dont know if that is good or poor progress because everyone I have asked has difficulty remembering their own timetable.

I am noting my progress for the benefit of anyone who might be contemplating the surgery. I thought I would be able to attend my grand-daughter's wedding two weeks after the surgery and it would just be a matter of willpower.

Obviously, I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment