"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday, October 6, 2008

Plan Ahead

I am buying the bench. I rented it the first month and kept it for a second month. I am not going to let it go.

It's called a transfer bench. Two legs are in the bath and two out. Half the bench is outside the bath so it's easy to sit down and swing my legs into the bathtub. I stand easily and sit when it's convenient. When I turn off the shower I can dry my hair and other parts without getting off the seat. It lifts easily out of the bathtub because it weighs hardly anything.

I was thinking about having a walk-in shower in place of the bathtub. For years. I've been advising people older than me to make that change. If plans are never to become dependent, it seemed like the sensible thing to do. I was at the point of shopping for what was needed and learned from the salesman a walk-in shower is not necessarily safer than a bathtub with a shower, and cost is prohibitive.

Fortunately, at the same time, I discovered the transfer bench. Three months ago, I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Early this year, I disposed of my dishwasher and replaced it with a washing machine. I don't miss the dishwasher and the washing machine in the kitchen means I am in complete charge of my own laundry.

It is my plan to maintain independence for the rest of my life. My recent surgery was my first. Being dependent on strangers has never held any appeal for me. Less now.

I think life must have a purpose even if it's just taking care of oneself.

So I am making plans. It's working out fine. I rented a bed rail too and I am keeping that as well. It's very handy.

I am still walking with two canes but not thinking about it. I have also started therapy at Whipper Billy Watson's pool at the hospital. He would be very proud to know how many people are benefitting from his energy and conviction.

1 comment:

  1. I've tagged you on my blog at www.heathersisman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete