"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

All That From a Conversation with Logan




Moses stretched his rod over the Red Sea, the waters parted and Moses led the Israelites from The Wilderness into The Promised Land or words to that effect.

That Moses dude was a politician of biblical proportions. Not only does he get the credit for major accomplishments, he had one heck of a Communications Director. Ever since, for thousands of years, people have been celebrating Moses’ success. I doubt any politician before or since has enjoyed Moses' fame.

I had a seven-year old named Logan in the back seat of my car a couple of weeks ago. We talked about what he'd been reading lately. His great-grandmother had given him a Book of Bible Stories for Christmas. The first was about Noah. He talked about why people needed to be punished, why Noah needed to build the Ark and the animals that went in two by two.

We wondered if there were lions and tigers and pythons and cobras and such-like predators in The Ark and what would be the effect on the over-all population.

After a bit, not giving it much thought, I asked Logan if he believed that story. My attention was on the road in front of me. All Logan could see was the back of my head. A full twenty seconds went past before he asked, “Do you?”

Well, I surely did not expect that. Neither did his mother. Her first reaction was that Logan was being impolite.

To me, it was just another example of the clear, uninhibited thought process of a very young child's mind. My question made him think and he didn't have an answer. He responded with a question of his own.

I remembered a question I had, when I was Logan's age. I was learning about the Sacrament of Baptism and Limbo. Limbo is for discards - a place for babies who have not been baptised.

In my family, a baby in the house was, and is, a source of wonder and joy. That they became nothing if they died without baptism was a disquieting thought.

When I thought about it again, after talking to Logan, The Right to Life Association came to mind. They argue a fertilized egg is a life that has a right to be born. Yet, once born, the church argued the infant is a discard if not born again in the Sacrament of Baptism

I don't know what the church is teaching these days. Maybe the theory of Limbo has itself been assigned to Limbo. It surely doesn't square with the arguments of The Right to Life Association.

All that from a conversation with Logan.

No comments:

Post a Comment